I love Music Business Radio because it brings together everything I love, and particularly this episode with Seth Godin in which this new-world marketer applies his perspective to the music industry and how artists like myself should be be thinking.
As I biked home this evening I listened back to the podcast stopping to take a few notes to remember.
- if you have the wherewhithall to put yourself out there, now is the time
- every tribe needs a leader and there are plenty still looking
- focus your output on the free and ubiquitous market or the scarce and precious market, but it’s death in the middle
- concentrate on the ones that love you
- don’t find listeners for your music, make music for your listeners
- once you make that mental shift it changes everything about how you work
- as an indie musician measure how many people would be delighted to hear from you