Derek Sivers told me to watch this, so I did. You should too.
My notes from the talk: Most sounds is accidental and unpleasant.
Four major ways it affects us:
- Psychological – breathing, heartrate, brainwaves
12 cycles per minute is soothing – waves, sleepers breathing
- Psychological – music, birdsong, make you feel
“Music is the most powerful sound there is.”
- Cognitive – can’t listen to two things at once.
You are 1/3 as productivity in shared, noisy spaces.
Inappropriate retail sounds decreases sales 28%.
Uses Soundflow to analyze (down-arrow) and create (up-arrow).
- Brand voice
- Brand music
- Sonic logo
- Advertising sound
- Branded audio
- Telephone sound
- Product sound
The four golden rules for commercial sound. Make it…
- Congruent (facing same direction or reduce impact up to 86%)
- Valuable (give people something not just bombard them)
- Test and test again
Read Julian Treasure’s blog.